Welcome to Ziyue Qiu’s Home Page
Address: University of Science and Technology of China, No.96, JinZhai Road Baohe District, Hefei, Anhui, 230026,P.R.China
I am a senior student at Department of Computer Science and Technology. I am advised by Prof. Cheng Li at USTC, Prof. Xiaosong Ma at HKBU, Dr. Qi Chen, Dr. Mao Yang at MSR-Asia. I am interested in storage systems, operating systems and distributed systems.
University of Science and Technology of China (USTC)Sep 2018 - present
- Major in Computer Science and Technology (expected in Jul 2022)
- Bachelor of Engineering, Special Class for the Gifted Young (under 16 years old)
- Hua Xia Talent Program in Computer Science and Technology (25 students selected from all 1,800 entering in 2018)
- GPA (overall): 3.92/4.3 (90.7/100), ranking: 9/251 (Top 4% in all students major in Computer Science)
- Mathematics Relevant Coursework: Mathematical Analysis B1 (91/100), Linear Algebra B1 (94/100), Function of Complex Variable B (95/100), Probability and Statistics B (99/100), Equations of Mathematical Physics B (99/100), Stochastic Processes B (96/100)
- Computer Science Relevant Coursework: Graph Theory (95/100), Analog and Digital Circuits (91/100), Introduction to Computer Systems (Honor) (90/100), Syllabus of Digital Logic Lab (97/100), Operating Systems (Honor) (92/100), Foundations of Algorithms (95/100), Design Methods of Embedded System (98/100), Web Information Processing and Application (97/100), An Introduction to Database System (96/100), Fundamental of Artificial Intelligence (96/100)
Undergraduate Researcher, Advanced Data Systems Laboratory (ADSL), USTCJan 2021 - present
Research Intern, System Group, Microsoft Research AsiaJul 2021 - present
Time to change: two-layer caching design for modern systems
Advisor: Prof. Cheng Li (USTC), Xiaosong Ma (Senior Scientist, Qatar Computing Research Institute, HBKU), Qi Chen (Microsoft Research Asia), Mao Yang (Microsoft Research Asia), Lidong Zhou (Microsoft Research Asia)
- Identified serious management cost in modern caching systems caused by lock synchronization and block mapping.
- Proposed a two-layer design to reduce management cost by eliminating lock synchronization and speeding mapping.
- Conducted an extensive evaluation on real-world workloads, and achieved up to 2~3x speedup.
- Preparing a first-author submission to OSDI’22.
Research on MLIR ToyDec 2020 - Jan 2021
Advisor: Yu Zhang (Associate Professor of Computer Science Department, USTC)
- Implemented a pass lowing Toy Dialect to Linalg Dialect and added useful operators.
- Lowered Linalg Dialect to GPU Dialect and openMP.
Distributed File Systems based on Internet PagesFeb 2020 - Jun 2020
Advisor: Kai Xing (Associate Professor of Computer Science Department, USTC)
- Implemented a decentralized server for higher availability and containerized it by Docker.
- Used Reed-Solomon Erasure Coding in Go and compiled it into WebAssembly for higher performance.
Leadership & Activities
Teaching Assistant of Mathematical Logic Course Mar 2021 – Jul 2021
- An important mathematical foundation course for undergraduates in Computer Science (CS).
Ultimate Frisbee Team @ USTC | CFO & Core MemberOct 2020 - present
- Joined competitions including Luzhou Hat 2020, Tianjing Open 2021, Beiyu Jumble 2021.
Linux User Group @ USTC | vice president & CFOSep 2020 – Jul 2021
- Organized activities (Hackergame got more participants, growing from 2682 in 2019 to 3733 in 2020)
Debate Team, School of Gifted Young, USTC | LeaderJun 2019 - May 2020
- Led the team to achieve Top Eight in School Debate Competition.
University of Texas at Austin International Academy ProgramJul 2019 - Aug 2019
- Studied listening, writing and computer course for four weeks.
Campus propaganda in high school for USTC | SpeakerDec 2018
- Selected from hundreds of students to introduce USTC to own high school.
- Organized the whole propaganda (100+ students attended) and won acclaim.
Football Team, School of Gifted Young, USTC | ManagerOct 2018 - Oct 2019
Awards & Honors
National Scholarship in School of the Gifted Young, USTC (Top 2%) [report]2021
Sihua Scholarship for Gifted Young (4/50)2020
Hua Xia Talent Program First Prize Scholarship (12/250 students major in Computer Science)2020
Zhong Hai Memorial Scholarship (2/200+) [report]2020
Alumni Scholarship of School of Gifted Young, USTC (10/1000+)2019
Chen Guoliang Academician Scholarship (Top 10%) [report]2019
- Proficient in programming in Linux (Ubuntu) / Mac OS environment (3-year experience)
- Adept in Assembly Language, C/C++, Python, Verilog (3-year experience),
- GRE General Test Verbal 161 (88%), Quantitative 170 (96%), Analytical Writing 3.5 (38%)
- TOEFL iBT 110 (Reading 30, Listening 29, Speaking 23, Writing 28)
- Other Languages: Mandarin (native)